"Interacting with Other Vehicles" Need-To-Know Info
Click on the Images Below to Launch each Video.
How to Drive a Car: Road Rage
As you learn how to drive a car safely and responsibly you will encounter "Road Rage" situations. Other drivers may become angry with you or you with them. This can lead to accidents. If you survive the accident and if your parents find out it was a road rage induced accident don't plan oon getting access to the family for a LONG time.
How to Drive a Car: Blame Your Parents:
If your passengers are instigating a retaliaion to what another driver did tell exactly what will happen if your parents find out. (And understand that parents often do find out because other drivers are quick to report road rage incidents.)
Your friends might be willing to take that chance – but they aren’t the ones who will have to live with the punishment!
How to Drive a Car: Daydreaming
Getting carried away by your thoughts is very dangerous when you’re sitting in the driver’s seat. You can miss stopping at a traffic light or stop sign. You could miss seeing the car ahead has stopped. You may even not see someone walking across the road. These are all deadly mistakes ansd all avoidable. Learning how to drive a car safely is learnning how to not daydream when driving.
How to Drive a Car: Tailgating
Tailgating is driving too close to the car ahead of you. Tailgating is stupid and dangerous. The person ahead of you might even get annoyed and slow down or develop road rage. If someone tailgates you just pull over and let the speed demon go.
How to Drive a Car: Right of Way
It’s important to know who has the right of way and to obey the rules. But having the right of way is no consolation if you wind up in a wheelchair because the other driver didn’t obey the rules. So you also need to drive defensively. So watch the other drivers on the road and learn to predict what you think they will do. Don’t take unnecessary chances because you believe you have the right of way.
How to Drive a Car: Driving with Motorcycles
Motorcycles are a lot harder to see than cars and trucks. And motorcyclists are vulnerable because they don’t have the protection of a big metal vehicle around them. Sometimes they even wear shorts or short-sleeved T-shirts and there’s nothing between their bare skin and the road! So drivers need to be really vigilant to watch out for motorcyclists.
Here are some tips to safe :
- Don’t try to share the lane with a motorcycle. They’re smaller than cars but they still need the whole lane.
- Allow plenty of room around the motorcycle. Don’t crowd or tailgate.
- Be aware that motorcycles sometimes turn unexpectedly. Their turn signals are hard to see and they often use hand signals.
- Be very careful turning left in front of motorcycles. They’re approaching faster than you think.
- The turn signals on motorcycles don’t shut off automatically like cars’ signals do and sometimes the driver forgets. So they may not turn when you expect them to.
- Double-check your mirrors before changing lanes if there’s a motorcycle in the area.
How to Drive a Car: Railway Crossings
Every year thousands of cars and trucks are crushed at railroad crossings. Some railroad crossings have big red lights and gates that lower to keep cars off the tracks. Some have nothing more than a sign at the side of the road. Hwere are some Railway Crossing Safety Tips:
- When you approach a railway crossing, slow down and stop. Look right, then left, then right again. If there are no trains in sight, proceed across the tracks as long as there is plenty of room on the other side of the road. You must be able to clear the tracks on the other side.
- If a train is coming, leave plenty of room for the train to pass (at least 20 feet or 5 meters from the gate or sign)
After the train has passed – look right, then left then right again, before you cross the tracks. There have been many cases where cars tried to cross the tracks after one train passed but didn’t realize there was second coming from the other direction.
- If there are signals – wait until the lights stop flashing and the gate goes up before crossing